[extropy-chat] The Forbin Project

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Nov 28 22:03:57 UTC 2004

The Forbin Project has just come out on DVD, anybody who has not already
seen it has 24 hours to do so before they must hang their head in shame. The
movie is 35 years old now but it is still the most intelligent and accurate
portrayal of Artificial Intelligence ever put on film. In my opinion this is
one of the best movies ever made, without a doubt it is the most underrated
movie ever made. Be warned however this film will scare you; there is no
blood or gore and the special effects are primitive by modern standards, but
if The Forbin Project does not scare your brain then you have not understood
it.

This is one of the very rare occasions when the movie is better, much
much better, than the book. When I read the book years ago I remember
thinking the premise was great and with a few changes it could be really
great, but as it is the book was just mediocre at best. With genius you
wouldn’t expect B grade moviemakers to have they kept all the
brilliant parts and eliminated all the stupid parts. All I can say is that
if you don’t think this old movie is exceptional then there is
something wrong with you.

John K Clark     jonkc at att.net