[extropy-chat] The Forbin Project

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Mon Nov 29 01:39:43 UTC 2004

I must say I agree with John on this one. I am a fan of both the books
and the film (and will fully admit that they are very different from one
another). Admittedly technology has outstripped the special effects (the
voice synthesizer, the fact that there are mechanical relays and big
reel-to-reel tapes in the Colossus complex, etc.), but I don't find that
too distracting when I remember that it was made many decades ago (any
more than the now-outdated technology keeps me from enjoying "Conquest
of Space").

Much of the film holds up well; Colossus and Guardian using their own
invented mathematical language-- centuries beyond anything humans could
comprehend-- to communicate; the humans-- still not understanding what
they're dealing with-- trying to trick the computer with a bit of
slight-of-hand; Forbin's reaction when he learns just how far Colossus
is micro-managing his life (and the implication; would Colossus nuke
Kiev if Forbin didn't eat his grapefruit?); great stuff. I also think
the music is great; very apropos to the theme.

What strikes me as being particularly notable about this film is the
fact-- unusual for a 1960's scifi film-- that the bad guy (Colossus)
wins. The resolution of the film is completely atypical for its time
(and quite creepy); that in and of itself is reason to see it, from the
perspective of the science fiction fan with an interest in the history
of the development of the genre.

If the film has a flaw, it's one that is shared by the book (and, I
might add, the recent third "Terminator" film); the "accidental" AI.
That's a hook that always sticks in my craw, but somehow the process of
the characters gradually discovering the truth mitigates it for me.

Plus, I must say I'm a fan of Eric Braeden (Forbin). Sure, Dr. Charles
Forbin is pretty much the same character as Dr. Otto Hasslein from
"Escape from the Planet of the Apes", but dagnabbit, he plays that
character _well_.

Joseph