[extropy-chat] The Forbin Project

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Nov 29 16:40:24 UTC 2004

"Eliezer Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>

> Can't say I share your enthusiasm.  Even 2001 was less anthropomorphic.

I assume you mean both movies attributed human motivation and
characteristics to something that was not human. Well that’s true, but I see
nothing wrong with that. Granted doing such a thing to a rock or a tree
would be a bad idea but in this case we’re talking about a very intelligent
entity that is probably conscious. I’m not saying they would think just like
we do but drawing analogies to human behavior is an important tool, in fact
just about the only tool we have.

> When Colossus went bad, the comment was:  "That didn't take long, even by
> our standards."

And how much time would it take for a mind that operated a thousand times
faster than yours to make a decision?

 John K Clark     jonkc at att.net