[extropy-chat] grow closer to god--through the mail!!

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 30 03:32:46 UTC 2004

 (11/29/04 18:12) Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

>You know, if I were a free-stater/out-and-out-libertarian, why ... I would holler to the rafters about how religions (all except for
>the atheist religions) are diverting so much in the way of resources and sucking off so much in the way of taxes from us poor
>working stiffs.  And the discrimination doesn't stop there, as atheist serfs have to pay double duty - (1) for not being recognized as
>a "religion"; and (2) for being taxed to benefit the "legitimate" religions.

I will point out, for sake of fairness, that religions without organizations, such as many Neopagan faiths, do not receive recognition from the government.  Most Pagan groups don't even have 501(c)(3) status. I'd be willing to bet that Hindu temples in the US are in the same boat, though I have no data to speak about that authoritatively.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein