[extropy-chat] Bone for the Extropian Wolves

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 1 16:19:20 UTC 2004

A friend wrote:

In my not always so humble opinion though, "hope" is not the greatest of
bio-engineering strategies.

And I replied:

Both 'hope' and 'faith' carry strong subtexts of 'death' and 'failure'.
Prior to the scientific age, the associated social and religious mechanisms
did promote slightly better chances of survival by these means. Religious
conversion and mystical insight (which I have experienced) both operate by
making the real world irrelevant and an imaginary 'higher' world the
ultimate reality. It has to be ultimate to be effective, and the main
effect is to delete the fear response, freeing one for a wider field of
action, often contrary to one's social programming. "God said so" is a
panacea for ignoring social constraints. Evolution only conserves
survivability, so we are saddled with these Stone Age mechanisms, which do
work in their limited way.

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =