[extropy-chat] Anti-hurricane engineering

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 1 17:07:28 UTC 2004

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/otec_hi.html#anchor356606
> .)
>
> The third step must heat up the cold water.  If
> there were any relatively cooler water left over
> from this process, I assume you’d just want to use
> it for the same purpose, to generate more
> electricity, until it was the same temperature as
> the surface water.  So there wouldn’t be any “cold
> spot” produced.

Ah, but where does that heat come from?  Check step a:
it leeches heat from the warm surface water.  Yes,
the cold water below gets warmer; we don't care about
that.  The heat will eventually come back up, but
until it does, some of the heat near the top - which
would have gone into feeding the hurricane - is no
longer there.