[extropy-chat] A black paintbrush dotting the globe, making it dotty

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 22:18:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:08:55 +0200, Amara Graps wrote:
> Today I heard that-
> The Italian government (right side) was apparently bent out of
> shape that they paid one million euro ransom for getting the
> girls from 'nice' kidnappers. Moreover, the girls shouldn't have
> given such awful people so much respect, by stating that they
> were treated well and by wearing black headdress, the stupid
> Italian politician said. These dingbats said (publically!) that
> they should boot the girls back to Iraq to the kidnappers, for the
> girls' stupid behavior, (that is, for 'respecting' the kidnappers
> and  the Iraqis).
>
> The world is completely crazy.

And the next day video footage of 10 new hostages kidnapped in Iraq
was broadcast on the al-Jazeera television channel.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1316506,00.html>

"More than 140 foreigners have been kidnapped in Iraq, and at least 26
hostages have been killed. Hundreds of Iraqis have been kidnapped
since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, mainly by criminal gangs
seeking large ransoms".

There are no nice easy solutions to the hostage problem. But I doubt
that telling the bandits that we will pay a million USD per hostage
will help much.

BillK