[extropy-chat] Rocket Diamonds

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 4 16:17:04 UTC 2004

Hmm.  A rather complex description, though.  Does it
boil down to this?

"Rockets are optimized for operation in space (i.e.,
in vacuum), so their exhaust has a lower pressure than
the atmosphere near the ground.  This would prevent
exhaust from escaping the engine, except that the
exhaust is going supersonic.  So it escapes, but is
compressed (see point A in the diagram) - and
overcompressed as it travels away from the engine (see
point 3 in the diagram), so it eventually expands
again (see point 5), then gets re-overcompressed, and
so forth.  The exhaust gets brighter at the points of
maximum compression (it's hot enough to glow anyway,
and there's more of it in a smaller volume at those
points).  Eventually, the exhaust loses its kinetic
energy to the atmosphere, causing the line of bright
points to break up."