[extropy-chat] Fwd: Manditory draft for your child?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 17:21:23 UTC 2004

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at gmail.com>
>
>  > I have no doubt that both Bush and Kerry
>  > will in fact push for a draft.
>
> I very much doubt either Bush or Kerry will push for a draft, in fact
> even the sponsors of the bill would probably vote against it if the
> thought there
> was any chance of it actually passing. Besides virtually guaranteeing
> a politician's defeat in the next election it doesn't even make sense
> militarily. The push is for a smaller faster more highly trained
> professional army than what the USA had in the Vietnam days, and that
> seems to be an effective way to go. A couple of hundred thousand
> resentful ill trained draftees would not improve the situation in
> Iraq both Bush and Kerry know it.

Actually, I just heard that Charlie Rangel (D-NY)'s bill is being sent
out of committee today for a floor vote today at the GOP behest.
Apparently, they want to make this an issue before the election, to
paint the Dems as the draft-mongers they are, and tout to voters that
they have prevented a draft. The co-sponsors will be forced to defend
their bill on C-SPAN before the election. Rangel has been fighting to
keep it in committee.

So, technically, I was wrong, I admit it, but I think that the strategy
being used proves my point that it is really the Dems that are trying
to create a draft issue for the election, and the GOP doesn't want one.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)