[extropy-chat] Fwd: Manditory draft for your child?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 02:29:08 UTC 2004

> --- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
>
> > "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at gmail.com>
> >
> >  > I have no doubt that both Bush and Kerry
> >  > will in fact push for a draft.
> >
> > I very much doubt either Bush or Kerry will push for a draft...
>
> Actually, I just heard that Charlie Rangel (D-NY)'s bill is being sent
> out of committee today for a floor vote today at the GOP behest...
> =====
> Mike Lorrey

I heard that the draft bill was voted in congress today and was
defeated 400-some to 2.  Who were the two?  What about the other
14 cosponsors?  If one sponsors a bill then votes against it,
is that not disingenuous?  These are the cosponsors, who
evidently introduced legislation for some political purpose,
but who have (let us fervently hope) ended their careers.

       Rep Abercrombie, Neil [HI-1]
       Rep Brown, Corrine [FL-3]
       Rep Christensen, Donna M. [VI]
       Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1]
       Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14]
       Rep Cummings, Elijah E. [MD-7]
       Rep Hastings, Alcee L. [FL-23]
       Rep Jackson, Jesse L., Jr. [IL-2]
       Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18]
       Rep Lewis, John [GA-5]
       Rep McDermott, Jim [WA-7]
       Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8]
       Rep Stark, Fortney Pete [CA-13]
       Rep Velazquez, Nydia M. [NY-12]

Out with them all!  They who would draft our babies,
shame on them, out with them all!  Pete Stark, with all
my strength I shall brutally not vote for you.

If the notion is to scare young people into opposing
the war, I have a better approach.  Keep the military
all-volunteer, so that there isn't enough soldiers.
That will scare the *leaders* into opposing the war.