[extropy-chat] that new Kurzweil book

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 22:23:37 UTC 2004

Fantastic Voyage : Live Long Enough to Live Forever
by
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579549543//exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Kurzweil%2C%252520Ray/103-7646353-3967011>Ray
Kurzweil,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579549543//exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Grossman%2C%252520Terry/103-7646353-3967011>Terry
Grossman
    * Hardcover: 400 pages
    * Publisher: Rodale Books; (October 27, 2004)
    * ISBN: 1579549543
    * Amazon.com Sales Rank: 114  [Yikes!!!]

Editorial Reviews
About the Author
Ray Kurzweil, Ph.D., is one of the world's leading entrepreneurs, thinkers,
and futurists. A recipient of the National Medal of Technology, among many
other honors, he is the author of three previous books: The Age of
Spiritual Machines, The 10% Solution for a Healthy Life, and The Age of
Intelligent Machines.

"Terry Grossman, M.D., is a board certified physician of anti-aging
medicine who has written several popular articles on natural treatments for
ailments. An expert in longevity medicine, he is the author of a leading
book on life extension, The Baby Boomer's Guide to Living Forever."

Book Description
One of the most respected scientists and futurists in America teams up with
an expert on human longevity, to show how we can tap today's revolution in
biotechnology and nanotechnology to virtually live forever.

Startling discoveries in the areas of genomics, biotechnology, and
nanotechnology are occurring every day. The rewards of this research, some
of it as spectacular as what was once thought of as science fiction, are
practically in our grasp. Already it is possible to analyze our individual
genetic makeups and evaluate our predisposition for breast cancer or other
deadly diseases on a case-by-case basis. And once we've isolated these
genes, the ability to repress or enhance them through biotechnology is just
around the corner. Soon, for example, it will be feasible for 10% of our
red blood cells to be replaced by artificial cells, radically extending our
life expectancy and enhancing our physical and even mental abilities beyond
what is humanly possible today. In Fantastic Voyage, Ray Kurzweil and Terry
Grossman will show us how amazingly advanced we are in our medical
technology, and how incredibly far each of us can go toward living as long
as we dare imagine.

With today's mind-bending array of scientific knowledge, it is possible to
prevent nearly 90% of the maladies that kill us, including heart disease,
cancer, diabetes, kidney disease, and liver disease. Ray Kurzweil and Terry
Grossman start the reader on a fantastic journey to undreamed-of vitality
with a comprehensive investigation into the cutting-edge science on diet,
metabolism, genetics, toxins and detoxification, the hormones involved with
aging and youth, exercise, stress reduction, and more. By following their
program, which includes such simple recommendations as drinking alkaline
water and taking specific nutritional supplements to enhance your immune
system and slow the aging process on a cellular level, anyone will be able
to immediately add years of healthy, active living to his life.

That final sentence, and the dubious term `detoxification', had a strange
effect on my digestion, but hey.