[extropy-chat] Greens do well in Oz elections

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Oct 9 18:06:38 UTC 2004

In the Australian national federal election, the conservatives have been
returned to office. At 77% of the vote counted last night, the Green had
scored 7% of the primary vote, up 2%. The racist & brainless One Nation
party got 1.1%, down 3.2%.

On TV in the USA, Kerry gave what Barbara and I regarded as a deftly
supple, concise and principled extempore reply about abortion and govt
funding. To our astonishment, Bush rose and candidly admitted he couldn't
understand it. ABCNews begged to differ with our assessment and implicitly
endorsed Bush's stupidity:

<Asked about abortion, Kerry, who supports a woman's right to have an
abortion, noted that he was a Roman Catholic but said he could not let his
faith influence his decision. In a long, rambling answer...>

Sigh.

Damien Broderick