[extropy-chat] Greens do well in Oz elections

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 10 06:19:07 UTC 2004

Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 14:33 +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> > It may also be possible to see to what extent religion (which
infiltrates
> > all political parties) effects policy especially policy relating to GM,
> > stem cells laws etc.
> >

> FFP position on stem cells is quite clear:
> http://www.familyfirst.org.au/hot_topics/stem_cells.php
>
> (short summary: they agree with Harradine)

So do some of the liberals and the nationals including Costello (treasurer
and heir apparent), Abbott (health), Anderson (deputy PM), McGuaran
(science minister) just to name a few off the top of my head.

John Howard himself is on record as stating that he believes that life
begins at conception.  An intellectually untenable but politically
understandable and conservative position.

Howard can, I think, be persuaded intellectually. He is bright enough
to get it, and competent enough politically that if he gets it he can
lead others where he wants to go.

Howard, like Keating had become very frustrated at senate
obstructionism. He had considered a double dissolution and even
a referendum on senate reform to try and get around it. He didn't
go that way because it would have been harmful to have tried
and failed.

Now, to his surprise I am sure, his desired outcome has fallen into
his lap. I suspect he will find it very hard to retire and make way
for Peter Costello given the opportunity to do some serious
reforming without the obstruction of the senate.

I think Costello would be more conservative than Howard in
religious terms (Abbot definately would be) and less able to
put a more enlightened view to his co-religious effectively on
stem cells.

Brett