[extropy-chat] Re: Greens do well in Oz elections

Ody777 at comcast.net Ody777 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 13:11:21 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote (9 Oct):

<<On TV in the USA, Kerry gave what Barbara and I regarded as a deftly supple, concise and principled extempore reply about abortion and govt funding. To our astonishment, Bush rose and candidly admitted he couldn't understand it. ABCNews begged to differ with our assessment and implicitly endorsed Bush's stupidity:

<Asked about abortion, Kerry, who supports a woman's right to have an
abortion, noted that he was a Roman Catholic but said he could not let his faith influence his decision. In a long, rambling answer...>

Sigh.

Damien Broderick>>

It would be helpful if you would explain your assertions here.

“Bush rose and candidly admitted he couldn’t understand it”: couldn’t understand what?  What did he say?

“Bush’s stupidity”: Why do you think he was stupid?

As to Kerry’s statement “that he was a Roman Catholic but... could not let his faith influence his decision,” I’d be really interested in knowing how he reconciled that contradiction.  As a Roman Catholic, he has signed on to the belief that abortion is homicide.  How could he possibly ignore that in his practical decisions on abortion?  If he gave a “supple, concise and principled” explanation of how to resolve this profound problem, I’d like to know what the explanation was.

More details, please.

Rob Masters