[extropy-chat] Bush and Kerry on abortion funding

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Oct 11 18:15:19 UTC 2004

At 12:31 PM 10/11/2004 -0500, I wrote:

 >Adventists aghast that hospitals are funded *with their money* to
transfuse blood

Oops. I probably should have written `Jehovah's Witnesses'. The former
theologian Spike Jones will be down on me like a wolf on the fold. I do
find this softening of position:

http://www.ajwrb.org/newsmedia/press.shtml

<Jehovah's Witnesses are known for their rejection of blood transfusion,
even when it is necessary to save life. The controlling organization of
Jehovah's Witnesses, the Watchtower Society, has required that Jehovah's
Witnesses reject blood transfusions since 1961. Nevertheless, in recent
years the Watchtower Society has permitted Jehovah's Witnesses to accept
some blood products like albumin.

The June 15, 2000 issue of The Watchtower (an official church publication)
announced that Jehovah's Witnesses may now accept "fractions of any of the
primary components" of blood. Previously Jehovah's Witnesses had been
permitted to accept only fractions of blood plasma without facing possible
expulsion from the church.

This expanded policy will permit church members to accept numerous
additional blood therapies and treatments. The Watchtower specifically
mentions interferons and interleukins from white cells and a wound healing
factor from platelets. More importantly, the policy apparently opens the
door to the use of hemoglobin based blood substitutes like "PolyHeme", that
are close to obtaining FDA approval. Since hemoglobin is obtained from
fractionating red cells, it would be permitted under the policy the
Watchtower Society recently announced.

This is an important development since hemoglobin based blood substitutes
have the potential to save many Jehovah's Witness lives that are presently
being lost in cases of trauma or surgery with massive blood loss. >

So even silly ideas can become modified under the pressures of reality.

Damien Broderick