[extropy-chat] 22nd century

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 02:41:24 UTC 2004

--- Trend Ologist <trendologist at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> It's foolishness to think anyone in Bush's position
> has regard for embryos; third semester fetuses,
> perhaps, but not microscopic cells. Bush isn't a
> theologian or philosopher, he is a politician...
> politicians want power even more than life itself.

Bush is also a born again christian. If you don't know any such people
of that type personally, you have no hope of comprehending where they
come from. Frankly, you haven't demonstrated to me in any sort of way
that Bush keeping government funding out of stem cell research helps in
any way to keep a hold on power.

> Which segues into the main fault line of
> libertarianism: the sad fact is we want power more
> than self-ownership. The will to power is vastly more
> important to most than liberty.

The will to power is a sad substitute that most feel is their only
option because they are denied liberty.

> You are doing what you
> believe in being libertarians, in using FSP to attempt
> to change New Hampshire, and you can have fun doing
> it. Yet the time frame is longer than you think.
> Libertarianism is a 22nd century, not 21st century, philosophy.

Thinking that it takes a century, in the information age, for a
political philosophy to ascend is so 19th century. By 2010, NH will
have a Libertarian Governor. By 2015 the Red Sox will move across the
NH border. By 2020 the NH economy will be growing at least twice as
fast as any other state in the US, and other states will start figuring
out that their states suck because they are not doing what we are doing.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)