[extropy-chat] 22nd century

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 03:47:02 UTC 2004

>  Does
>anyone actually shed tears for tiny cells? That is
>very hard to believe.

This is surely a pragmatic refutation--and one of my personal favorites--of
all the hand-wringing. Does anyone call for the baptism of blastocysts
before they are opened up for their stem cells? Are the dear little remains
given proper Christian burial, with service and weeping relatives? If the
blastocyst is severed into cells, each of which is totipotent and therefore
potentially a separate individual human person (presumably with its own
soul), is each portion given a *separate* ceremonial burial, with its own
tombstone? These might strike devout Christians as grisly, blasphemous and
grossly unseemly questions, but I'm certain Thomas Aquinas and his tonsured
colleagues sat up late into the candle-lit night tussling with similar
ridiculous profundities. George Bush, meanwhile, surely hops instead into
bed for a good snooze, and the bishops and prelates assembled do the same,
celibately of course.

Damien Broderick