[extropy-chat] FEC to regulate internet

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Thu Oct 14 00:14:28 UTC 2004

 (10/13/04 15:22) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041013/D85MHF6G0.html
>
>Still think that voting for Kerry is good idea? Just wait until he gets
>in office and his special interest buddies and their left wing media
>get the FEC to clamp down on internet political speech. Mark my words:
>there will be gnashing and anguish (or, more likely, apologia and
>excuse making) from those who vote for him on this list. See the story:

I find it typical and amusing that you'd seek to lay the blame on this on something Kerry -might- do. What possible motive would the Democrats have for stifling a medium that still supports them preferentially by a nearly 2:1 margin? If you're going to spout BS, at least try to do so believably next time.

That being said, there is a world of difference between the NRA and a blog like Eschaton or the Daily Kos, which do not donate money to candidates at all. While I would prefer that all paid political speech be unregulated, but fully disclosed, I fail to see how regulating politically-oriented organizations (i.e. 527s, the Catholic Church, etc.) on the web is any different from regulating them in the print or broadcast world.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein