[extropy-chat] Presidential Debates

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 03:55:46 UTC 2004

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was surprised that Bush actually managed to maintain
> some semblance of perspicacity against Kerry's ivy
> league eloquence. But the Bush quote that got my goat
> (not however, my vote):
>
> "We have unleashed the armies of compassion"

Other election news:
Tennessee Democrats are putting up posters of a kid with a Bush face
running on a track, with the caption, "Voting for Bush is like running
in the Special Olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded."
Possibly one of the most vile things I've seen this election.

Round here in NH, the John Lynch campaign against Gov. Craign Benson
hit new lows with widespread campaign sign sabotage last night against
Benson signs, and signs for others.

I also see that Bill O'Reilly might be a minor October surprise, with a
$60 million sexual harassment lawsuit by a former producer against him,
with a preceding suit against the producer and her lawyer for attempted
extortion. Her suit is on SmokingGun, O'Reilly's is on DrudgeReport.
Promises to make the Clarence Thomas hearings look tame.

Reports also of the FBI tracking 25 Chechen rebels who crossed over the
Mexican border in late July and are thought to be hiding out somewhere
in the four corners area. Prayer mats facing Mecca were found at the
border. Whether these are trial ballons or real remains to be seen.

Michael Badnarik and the Arizona Libertarian Party lost its lawsuit
against the Debates Commission and Arizona State over the exclusion of
Badnarik from the debates. The ALP is a major party in Arizona, so
exclusion of their candidate from the debates would constitute the
debates being a partisan campaign contribution to the other candidates.
The judge ruled that the parties were properly served for the hearing,
but the suit wasn't brought soon enough to prevent the debate from
occuring if Badnarik was excluded, ignoring the fact that the parties
prevented this by having the original server, Michael Badnarik himself,
arrested outside the St Louis debate.

The judge did leave open the possibility that the ALP could still sue
for monetary damages in a continuing case after the election.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)