[extropy-chat] non-obituary

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 05:38:51 UTC 2004

Have you ever seen an obituary that took you
by surprise, because you assumed the person
had passed away a long time ago?  You might
say something like "Wilber Bumpersnort is
dead?  I didn't even know he was alive!"

Occasionally we run across a happier piece
of news, that one we thought long gone is
not just alive, but apparently in good health.
For a bit of cheerful news, I learned today
that Hans Bethe is with us still, at the
age of 98.  Ernst Mayr, the evolutionary
biologist and geneticist, turned the big
triple digit mark in July.

Albert Hofmann, the guy who invented LSD,
is still tuning in and turning on, but has
not dropped out, will turn 99 in less than
3 months.