[extropy-chat] John C. Wright finds god

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Oct 15 14:45:24 UTC 2004

At 01:18 AM 10/15/04 +0100, trendologist wrote:
>Bookish? the 'typical product of our culture' leans
>more towards local yokel ...they can read sports
>statistics, romance novels, etc. Women are actively
>encouraged to play dumb because it supposedly makes
>them more feminine.

Clumping all of culture together reduces the ability of systems to adjust
to change.  There is no typical product of our culture because you are
including "our" into the concept, which means that you are including all
aspects of culture and the social, technological, environmental, economic
and political drivers and trends. Including all aspects would include, not
exclude, the trends that drive change, intentional or not, and set the
standard for cultural branding.  One very significant aspect of this
branding is how women are perceived.  Women are not perceived as dumb for
gain, whether it be sexual gain, professional gain, monetary gain, or
social gain.

Taking a 20th century neg-concept is of little value in our
culture.  Society is one thing, culture is another.  Society may want to
view women as dumb so that it can foster the vicious cycle of male
dominance, but culture does not see it that way.  Culture works as a
catalyst to make social changes, and one of the prime catalytic trends is
releasing women from the labels which are highly damaging.

Women are actively encouraged to be smart, get an education, reduce
pregnancies, and become self-reliance.  In the past 100 years, women have
made enormous strides to ride themselves, ourselves, of the chains of
slavery and suppression.

Our culture wants women to excel.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More