[extropy-chat] Re: Gullible

scerir scerir at libero.it
Tue Oct 19 20:21:17 UTC 2004

> The word 'gullible' was removed from the
> official English dictionary about a year ago.
> I don't remember what it has been replaced with.
> ben

['Spookster' wrote recently ...]

I logged onto globalnews.com today to check up on world
events and see if anything interesting had happened
to the human race, and 'lo and behold it seems that
Oxford University Press (And several other publishing
companies) are being forced to remove a word from their
dictionaries.

The word in question is 'Gullible'.

The reasons behind it's attempted removal from the English
language are complicated but I'll try to explain them in
brief here.

It all started in Africa.

Prior to the 19th century, the rest of the world knew very
little about this continent. Any trade between Europeans
and African traders occurred on the coast. However,
beginning in the early 1800s, explorers began to explore
the African interior. Many of the first European explorers
in Africa were missionaries who felt called to 'bring God
into the lives of the pagan African tribes'.

In the late 19th century the 'scramble' began - this was
the major European colonization of Africa. Seven nations
in total would vie for supremacy of as much of the continent
as possible. Of the seven European countries that would
eventually dominate Africa, Great Britain, France and Belgium
together controlled most of Africa's territory.

This is where the Guleb tribe enters the picture.

The Guleb Tribe were a reasonably large community who
lived peacefully in the country we know nowadays as
the Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast).

Then came the French.

As Africa was 'civilized' the tribes were gradually
deprived of their ancestral lands. This was no different
for the Guleb tribe except for the fact that they were
exploited out of almost everything they had.

What happened was that when the French settlers arrived
at the Ivory Coast they wanted the most fertile land.
A large amount of this happened to be along the western
edge of the "Lac de Buyo" which was the lake the Guleb
tribe had settled around.

The tribe was incredibly hospitable and open to the
new settlers. They willingly offered to share their land,
food and other resources with these strange, pale people.

And the French took complete advantage of them.

The next thing the Guleb knew they were dispossed
of their lands, crops and other material possessions.
What made it worse was that the settlers managed
to deceive the tribesmen so completely and then
boasted about how easily they had robbed the natives
of their land while the other European nations were
having so much trouble exploiting their own 'savages'.

This led to the name Guleb being used to describe
anyone who was easily deceived or tricked.

The use of the term eventually made it's way
to Europe where it was corrupted into 'Gullib'
or 'Gullible'.

Recently a small group of descendents from the Guleb
tribe have been trying to regain their tribal lands
from the government of the Ivory Coast.

Unfortunately they've met with almost no success.

At the same time they've also discovered how their
ancestral name has been turned into a derogatory term
in the English language. As a result they are campaigning
to try and get the word removed in it's current form
from the English language. The biggest purveyor (For want
of a better word) of the English language are dictionaries,
so that's what they concentrated on.

This attempt has been taken as a joke up till now when
the descendents have appealed directly to the British
Government and the British Publishing Associations Board.
Fearing a public relations upset the BPAB has forced the
Oxford University Press along with several other publishing
companies to remove the word or at least annotate the entry
in their next edition of dictionaries to explain the history
behind the term.

Now, I personally agree that the Guleb Tribes-people should
regain their land and receive reparations from the Ivory Coast
government for their losses, but trying to change a language
seems kinda stupid.

Yes, it is politically incorrect and offensive to the Guleb
Tribe to use the word.

But does it really need to be removed?

-Spookster