[extropy-chat] Re: A slow down in Moore's law?

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Wed Oct 20 19:41:11 UTC 2004

I promise this is my last post on the subject, unless it comes up again
:)

Tuomi addresses many variants of Moore's law, all leading toward the
metric Kurzweil proposes, which is in essence, computation per dollar.
So Kurzweil's analysis is applicable in the context of the Tuomi paper.

Kurzweil sidesteps the whole "Moore's Law" issue by restaging the
advance of information processing capability into his own "law of
accelerating returns". The introduction of the phrase "Moore's Law" to
describe Kurzweil's ideas on the future of computation was my doing.

There is a fundamental difference of opinion between the two on the
rate, shape, and limits of information processing capability which
drives their argument. Tuomi does seem to be advocating that the advance
of computing technology is in fact slowing (or rather, the acceleration
is decelerating).

I will finally note that one can be fervent about something without
being religious. Fervor is a a strong expression of passion for and
excitement about some thing. Fervor in service of an ideal serves to
direct and motivate one to work toward that ideal. Sometimes, even
often, it is to the detriment of rationality but it can drive one to
action in support of a rationally determined goal. (Of course, for most
humans, this goal will still serve some basic genetically determined ned
or desire.)

Acy