[wta-talk] Re: [extropy-chat] Re: SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

mike99 mike99 at lascruces.com
Sat Oct 23 20:59:42 UTC 2004

First, I, too, am a (modest) financial supporter of SIAI. It would certainly
be good if a few people could give Eliezer's institute several thousand
dollars apiece. But based on what Eli wrote about the criteria the IRS
applies to non-profits at SIAI's stage of development, it might be even
better if several hundred, or several thousand, people each gave a $100 or
even just $50 or $10 or so dollars each. That would show a more broad base
of public support.

Second, I think we should be circumspect about making religious appeals. The
Tiplerian scenario that Giulio described does, indeed, activate some of the
same meme-receptors that respond to the memes promulgated by the major world
religions. However, those religions claim to guarantee delivery of a
paradisiacal afterlife in exchange for strict adherence to their doctrinal
tenets, while any transhumanist claim can only be probabilistic and must
admit to the need for a lot of very difficult work to have been accomplished
over the course of a very long time in order for any hope of success to be
realized. In short, the religions promise salvation through faith, while
transhumanists can, at best, only promise paradise through works, and even
then without any guarantees that any particular individual will ever see the
promised land.

Another aspect to religion is community. I suspect that very many so-called
"believers" do not really believe all that strongly in the quite incredible
claims of their religion, but they do enjoy being with fellow members of
their religious community, sharing meals, sharing joys and sorrows, and
experiencing the emotional support and comfort that comes from "being one of
us."

This is something that the few, scattered transhumanists around the Earth
today cannot currently offer or enjoy (except in a few large urban areas and
during the annual conferences). Building face-to-face transhumanist groups
should be a major priority for us.

Finally, I believe that a transhumanist spirituality (which I call
Trans-Spirit) will be possible on the basis of rational, scientific
investigation into the psycho-neurological bases of spiritual experience.
This is a more personal, individual aspect of religion that does not
necessarily entail any group activity, but which is at the core of every
religious tradition. Spiritual experience supplies the foundational impetus
in which the founders (and major figures in the later development of) every
religion are rooted. (For more information about this, please go to my page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trans-spirit/).

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99 at lascruces.com
mlatorra at nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

"Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
-- Eugen Leitl

Member:
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org
World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org