[extropy-chat] SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 00:37:21 UTC 2004

--- Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> Different people have different reasons for not helping.  For some,
> as Damien says, they will assign a zero probability of success to the

> solution.  (If it's a nonzero probability of success, and an
> existential risk, then I have separate issues with the reasoning.)
>  Others (quite a few of whom just now donated) may have agreed on
> the problem, thought SIAI had a decent chance at a solution, and
> then been zapped by the bystander effect.

On that score, and regarding the discussion/argument you and I had over
beers at Extro5, have you read the interview in Wired with Jeff
Hawkins? He asserts that AI research has been a failure because human
intelligence is really just a massive memory machine:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/view.html?pg=3

I had made the same assertion that day in 2001: that intelligence is
just a matter of a massive lookup table and an engine capable of using
it effectively. Now the inventor of the PDA is making the same
assertion. Perhaps people don't help because they don't think you are
approaching the problem effectively.

In keeping with my article "Unsafe at Any Law", creating a "Friendly
AI", if one develops onee on my and Hawkins' theory, is simply a matter
of creating a friendly environment of input for an AI kernel to create
its lookup table from. Raising your AI in a laboratory or a factory
would therefore not be conducive to creating Friendliness. It needs to
have a family of some sort to become friendly.

> English is an annoying language.  There's no good word to refer to a
> question with an important and interesting answer, that doesn't
> puzzle you because you know the answer, but would nonetheless be
quite
> intriguing to someone who didn't know the answer, because the
> phenomenon is counterintuitive if you describe it in strictly
> surface terms without referring to the underlying causes that
> render it explicable.  I call it a
> "puzzle", and am careful not to say that I am puzzled by it.

Puzzler, conundrum, poser, problem, riddle, parable, riddle, sphinx,
stumbler, brain-teaser, bugaboo, bugbear, enigma, example, grabber,
dilemma, quandary,

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)