[extropy-chat] how sleep deprivation skews perception

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 19:04:33 UTC 2004

>" But your "and wrt capitalist countries, there are fewer people with
>running water now than at any time in history.... thanks to capitalism."
>
>And though I wont speak for Mike Lorrey, I will wager that is was a
>typo, and he meant to say that fewer people are 'without' running water
>than ever before in the history of humanity.
>
>Michael

>You win, I lose. Obvious, in hindsight...

Well, the typo was obvious, but not necessarily the truth of the intended
observation.

For a start, it might be that Mike should have written `...thanks to the
increase in technological knowledge', since a lot of the running water
infrastructure in the world has been put in place by non-capitalist societies.

(Farther back in the chain of logic, one might argue that this knowledge
would not have existed were it not for early capitalism in Europe, but then
we might as well praise autocracy and monarchy, which would be foolish,
since these links were historically contingent.)

The question then is whether fewer people really *are* without running
water than ever in history. If history starts 10,000 years ago, this has a
certain plausibility (although access to streams and rivers might count,
which means for the longest portions of early history *almost nobody* was
without access to running water, since nobody could live anywhere without
it). But since the populations of the `underdeveloped' parts of the world
are larger and growing faster than the rich remainder, I suspect that at
least the *proportion* without running water might be *increasing*. But I'm
too busy just now to go hunting for data. Just checking the underlying
logic here...

Damien Broderick