[extropy-chat] Constitution Restoration Act will effectively transform the United States...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 18:36:53 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Natural Law starts off recognising that all power,
> > rights, and
> > responsibility originates in the individual as a
> > sovereign entity in a
> > state of nature. There are no societal rights, no
> > group rights of any
> > kind.
>
> and instead just claim that NL recognizes the "rights"
> of citizens to serve their government (or words to
> that effect).  Similar perversions of original intent
> fuel many religious neo-Luddites, who see in the holy
> words of their founders only encouragement to hate
> those who seek to unlock human nature, even if their
> founders (if alive today) might have only nice things
> to say about transhumanity.

Problem is such an abuse cannot be treated as a right. You can't be
obligated to do anything for anyone which you have not specifically
contracted to do. It is hard enough to draft people for national
defense, you aren't going to do it for anything else.

> Our current system of laws is not perfect, but at
> least it somewhat protects against abuses like that.
> This protection alone is perhaps responsible for most
> of the difference between first world and third world
> countries.  (And note that the second world arguably
> was somewhere between absence of laws and rule of law
> in terms of the protection given to citizens against
> abuse by the powerful, in part because the ideology of
> their government was in conflict with the reality of
> control by a few elites.)

You are sadly mistaken if you think the current laws protect us against
it. The fact is that the laws you think protect against it are actually
the laws that impose it:

a) income tax: fractional slavery
b) zoning laws: land fascism
c) sign, parade, advertising, etc laws: confiscation of free speech
d) McCain-Feingold: more confiscatino of free speech
e) 20,000 gun-control laws: victim-disarmament and confiscation of
self-defense rights

I could go on all day long in this. The problem with the above laws,
and millions more I could name, are that they are not authorized by the
US Constitution, congress doesn't have the power to pass them, state
legislatures don't have the power to pass them, and local governments
don't have the power to pass them.

The Common Law is all you need, or, in its absence, its modern
equivalent, the Common Economic Protocol (version 1.0 is out, btw).

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)