[extropy-chat] thorium for reactors

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Tue Oct 26 06:46:32 UTC 2004

Hello, how so?  We in the US could do damn well to convert our own
reactors to something more benign and economical from multiple
perspectives.

I really don't see what it has to do with one of your favorite hobby
horses, why we should be belligerent hither and yon, Mike.    As the
data is not fully in on thorium we can't expect Iran to be using it
already, can we?

As I have said before here, if I was a citizen of a Middle East country
I would be clamoring for nukes.  States with nukes don't become a
target for American aggression.   Of course there is that awkward point
where we claim the right to preemptively attack a country just for
preparing to defend itself against attack.   If it is OK for Pakistan
and Israel to have nukes, states known for some belligerence, then why
is it automatically wrong for Iran to have them?

It would be great if no country had nukes of course and if no one ever
wanted to harm anyone while we are about it.  But that is not the world
we live in.   In the face of a country with overwhelming force and the
will to use it in one's neighborhood it is quite rational to want
weapons powerful enough to lessen the odds of attack.  Yes, there is
the inherent danger involved.  But is this really reason enough that
any government would not seek to defend itself if it believes it is in
danger?

- samantha