[extropy-chat] Can the Sciences Help Us to Make Wise Ethical Judgments?

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:11:26 UTC 2004

Skeptical Inquirer - Dramatic breakthroughs on the frontiers of
science provide new powers to humans, but they also pose perplexing
moral quandaries. Should we use or limit these scientific discoveries,
such as the cloning of humans? Much of this research is banned in the
United States and restricted in Canada. Should scientists be permitted
to reproduce humans by cloning (as we now do with animals), or is this
too dangerous? Should we be allowed to make "designer babies?" Many
theologians and politicians are horrified by this; many scientists and
philosophers believe that it is not only inevitable but justifiable
under certain conditions. There were loud cries against in vitro
fertilization, or artificial insemination, only two generations ago,
but the procedure proved to be a great boon to childless couples. Many
religious conservatives are opposed to therapeutic stem-cell research
on fetal tissues, because they think that "ensoulment" occurs with the
first division of cells. Scientists are appalled by this censorship of
scientific research, since the research has the potential to cure many
illnesses; they believe those who oppose it have ignored the welfare
of countless numbers of human beings. There are other equally
controversial issues on the frontiers of science: Organ
transplants-who should get them and why? Is the use of animal organs
to supply parts for human bodies wrong? Is transhumanism reforming
what it means to be human? How shall we control AIDS-is it wicked to
use condoms, as some religious conservatives think, or should this be
a high priority in Africa and elsewhere? Does global warming mean we
need a radical transformation of industry in affluent countries? Is
homosexuality genetic, and if so, is the denial of same-sex marriage
morally wrong? How can we decide such questions? What criteria may we
draw upon?
http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-09/scientific-ethics.html