[extropy-chat] Titan images start to come in

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Oct 26 19:04:52 UTC 2004

Damien points to:
> http://www.planetary.org/news/2004/cassini_titan00a_approach-images_1026.html

This one picture,
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gs2.cgi?path=../multimedia/images/titan/images/PIA06107.jpg&type=image ,
is especially spectacular.  It's amazing how well they can penetrate
the clouds using the right filters and wavelengths.

Those dark areas sure look like oceans to me.  The only comparable
features I can think of are on Io, which are thought to be lakes of
sulfur; Mars, where there is evidence of primordial water; and of course
Earth.  Fortunately the close flyby will/did zoom in on the left part of
the dark area so we should get a good look at it and the "coastlines".
There is to be a broadcast/webcast at 6:30 tonight PDT (01:30 tomorrow
morning GMT) linked from http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.cfm .

Hal