[extropy-chat] 140 year old Castro?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 05:35:48 UTC 2004

Even western/capitalist science is subject to
over-hype, so a well tuned bogosity meter is useful no
matter the source.

That said, I have heard, but cannot verify, that Cuba
has some degree of achievement in biotech.  Thus one
might reasonably ask if the claim made by Dr. Eugenio
Abdo originates from some degree of expertise not
widely published/known in the US?  Does anyone have
hard specifics on the state of Cuban biotech
capability?

Setting aside ideological issues--frayed, antique, and
perhaps by now somewhat quaint--this should be a
matter of genuine interest to transhumanists.
Similarly, technological capability is likely (my
opinion) a more significant factor for a society's
future importance than political stripe.  YMMV.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles