[extropy-chat] morons in office

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:22:09 UTC 2004

You're right that IQ tests just test what psychologists think is
intelligence. But the difference between 130 and 170 is extremely
statistically significant (especially with standard deviation of 10). It
measures your percentile so lets say 130 is in the 99% and 170 is in the
99.999%. That's a big difference (and there's no real "margin of error" in
IQ tests like there are in polls as IQ tests simply compare you to the mean
and the sample).

Of course you can probably give someone 10 tests and get 10 different scores
out of them, so IQ tests aren't perfect but they're the best test we can
perform to get an idea of a person's intelligence.

Also, the younger the test is administered the more accurate. Since an IQ is
supposed to test intelligence and not knowledge. A knowledgable 10 year old
can really clean up on an IQ test but at 30 could get a much lower score.

BAL