[extropy-chat] morons in office

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 29 17:41:58 UTC 2004

Ok, my 2 bits:

Nearly all IQ tests have a large chunk devoted to words, word derivations,
and the like, based on the assumption that the parents have a library of
books and that the books have a selection of classical lit titles.

Not in my family. I was a geek, only read science and SF. no library of
books other that a few college texts on stuff like geology and mining
engineering, and a really really boring encyclopedia.

So in college in a psych class the prof gave us an IQ test based on
Stanford research which was intended for high IQ types. It was at least 1/2
word stuff. I ended up with 136. A classmate whom I knew for sure did't
match me got 145. I asked why - her response was revealing: "I took Latin
in High School".

On these things I end up mostly into the number sequence problems and my
time gets eaten up there.

There is another killer type of IQ problem, those little diagrams of two
shapes and a third, with selection of 4 or 5 others to match. I am way too
inventive, so I am confronted with that most of the offered selections have
a way of matching for me. Result is poof!

In the 70s Omni magazine had a quickie IQ test, I did it, got score of 157.
I missed one question or it would have come out 175.

The net has an IQ test I did last year, but it was LOADED with those visual
analogy things and I ended up at 135.

IMHO, IQ is too general a term for intelligence. Too many biases per ones
background and culture. And the kind of thinking I seem to excel at I have
yet to meet a test which is even in the ballpark.

Conclusion: IQ tests are for morons. ptui.

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =
=   Alcor Advisor to Board       =