[extropy-chat] Bush wants another $75 billion for wars

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 19:40:22 UTC 2004

At 11:42 AM 10/29/2004 -0700, Mike L. wrote:

>ANY government program that takes your
>money as 'taxes' to redistribute it to someone else is theft at the
>barrel of a gun.
>
>...Sounds like something one would
>expect from a 'house slave'.

Many of us have been raised to think of it, and accept it, as an implicit
social contract where we pay forward the debt we share with everyone else,
our portion of the debt assessed according to how much spare resources we
already own. Rather in the way most children learn to share food at the
table rather than wolfing down the lot after shoving everyone else aside.
For a small test case where this kind of commity has failed, look at

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/29/opinion/29birkett.html?th

People often default on this shared enterprise; some are locked up as
scoundrels, others run corporations like Enron. Some justify their default
by reference to philosophies such as libertarianism, which finds the basis
of the implicit contract, and its implementation in a given society, to be
unfair, absurd or simply onerous. It's an arguable position, but its case
is not won by fiat or redefinition of `theft' or accusations of servility
against those who accept a pay-forward and proportional solution to the
inevitable interstitial and even structural damage done by markets, crime,
race hatreds, etc.

> >Winners, losers. It is not an endless, infinite bucket of
> > money/resources. I ask "how much is enough?" Should there be
> > requirements to return such wealth beyond a certain point?
>
>Return wealth to who? Upon what basis is a claim made?

Upon this basis:

"The steel tortoise gave MacKinnon a feeling of Crusoe-like independence.
It did not occur to him his chattel was the end product of the cumulative
effort and intelligent co-operation of hundreds of thousands of men, living
and dead." --Robert A. Heinlein, `Coventry'

Heinlein's utopian judge condemns MacKinnon, a reckless rugged
individualist: `From a social standpoint, your delusion makes you as mad as
a March Hare.'

Damien Broderick