[extropy-chat] Mother Teresa and Other Nunzillas [was Bush wantsanother $75 billion for wars]

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Oct 30 02:16:27 UTC 2004

From: Al Brooks

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 1:12 PM

>Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

>>Mother T had a lifelong obsession with abortion. It was her central issue.
>> She was fundamentally opposed to it, regardless of circumstances.

>You don't know for a hard fact that abortion was Theresa's central issue. Even if abortion was her #1 issue, she grew up in the first half of the 20th century, if she were young (& alive in the first place) today her core values might be evolving.

For the record, the quote was from one of the links I provided, not mine.  Although, as Mother Teresa was a fundamentalist Catholic ... and as Catholics are not exactly encouraged to think about such issues for themselves, one can assume growing up in the first half of the 20th century, or the second half, or even if she were alive today - that Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu may still have become a fundamentalist Catholic automaton.  After all, even though it is 2004 - there are still a lot of Catholics around.

My grandmother *also* grew up in the first half of the 20th century, and she too was essentially a Catholic (having been reared in large Eastern Orthodox Russian family), but my grandmother was *much* more practical and a much kinder person than Mother Teresa.  Babushka - married, but finding herself pregnant at 39 (and already being the mother of two almost-grown children), with instability raging prior to WWII in the country where she sought shelter from the Bolsheviks - decided to go the abortion route.

It is almost impossible for today's women to realize how reproductive life was like without the almost impeccable birth control we now have (and have had for about the last 40 years, which BTW gave Mother Teresa plenty of time to "evolve" from her core values in the last half of her lifetime).  But, of course, it is not just *abortion* that Mother Teresa was against ... but *birth control* itself.

And yet it was Mother T who won the Nobel Prize.  What a travesty.  If it were up to me - prostitutes and exotic dancers - who provide a service, who are not moralistic about pleasure, who often teach the inexperienced and succor the unwanted - they are much more deserving of the Nobel Prize than a creep like Mother Teresa.

Olga