[extropy-chat] National Academy of Sciences against cloning ban

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 06:10:41 UTC 2004

>From the Washington Post - BRUCE ALBERTS, President, National Academy
of Sciences: "Robert May, my counterpart at the Royal Society in
London, has expressed not only the consensus of British scientists on
the perils of a proposed U.N. convention to ban all human cloning
research ["A Cloning Compromise That Works," op-ed, Oct. 20] but the
consensus of the U.S. National Academies and more than 60 other
science academies worldwide.
Under the auspices of the InterAcademy Panel -- a global network of
science academies -- we have expressed our support for an
international ban on human reproductive cloning. But the Costa Rican
proposal being considered at the United Nations goes too far by also
calling for a ban on "therapeutic cloning," a technique more
accurately termed "nuclear transfer to produce stem cell lines." This
promising research has important potential both for scientific
research and future medical therapies, and it has nothing to do with
attempts to clone a person."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10810-2004Oct29.html