[extropy-chat] more moore

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Wed Sep 1 10:02:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:29 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Current machines are too slow for even current HDTV codecs.

Well, something's encoding them in real time, otherwise there would be
no live transmission.  Too slow for PC encoding maybe (but only if you
don't have a suitable card i assume)

> Current machines are too slow for even Eclipse at compiled C speed.

I don't think there is any compiled C version of eclipse available (gcj
is compiled java, and not even faster than interpreted java at that) (or
maybe we are talking about different Eclipse's).  (If i'm wrong, please
do post a url)

> Current machines are too slow for even X at speed of Windows XP desktop
> .

This is independent of machine speed (but not independent of setup.  my
X runs fine)

> Current machines are too slow for even current crude FPS. (Why do you think
> Sony PS3 needs 1000x the speed of PS2 to succeed?)

Current crude FPSs run perfectly fine in current top of the line
computers (saw it demonstrated nicely a couple of weeks ago.  i've been
out of touch from the gaming world for a number of years now, but they
are doing fine without me. crude's come a long way). You must mean next
gen fine FPSs.

> Current machines are too slow for even the DARPA race challenge.

too slow for it to be solved in about a year and a half by mostly uni
students.

> Current machines are too slow for realtime body capturing from video.
> Current machines are too slow for a current desktop in a mobile phone
> performance.

Again, independent of machine speed.  At all times desktop will be
faster than mobile phones.  But current mobile phones kick the shit out
of 286s.

> Need I to go on?

No.  I agree completely with the intent of the message.

alejandro