[extropy-chat] more moore

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 10:07:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:29:56 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Current machines are too slow for even current HDTV codecs.
> Current machines are too slow for even Eclipse at compiled C speed.
> Current machines are too slow for even X at speed of Windows XP desktop.
> Current machines are too slow for even current crude FPS. (Why do you think
> Sony PS3 needs 1000x the speed of PS2 to succeed?)
> Current machines are too slow for even the DARPA race challenge.
> Current machines are too slow for realtime body capturing from video.
> Current machines are too slow for a current desktop in a mobile phone
> performance.
>
> Need I to go on?

I think you need to define desktop computer a bit more clearly here.

Yes, developer workstations will always want more processing power,
but they are a small part of the market.
Television and DVD players are a much better medium for watching video
on. We may have stopped watching 100 channels of rubbish on TV, but
the mass population haven't. High volume video is actually a
brain-numbing experience. You stop thinking when you watch it. Do you
really want to put that on your pc?

Keen gamers will spend more on the latest graphics card than they
spent on the computer.
The DARPA challenge (and other AI) fails because we don't yet know how
to write the requisite programs - not for lack of processing power.

Yes, if Intel make better processors, then they will appear in all the
computers we buy, because we won't have any choice. But will the
majority of users *need* more processing power? I doubt it.

More bandwidth, more on-line storage and more backup storage, - yes please!

BillK