[extropy-chat] more moore

KPJ kpj at sics.se
Wed Sep 1 16:20:35 UTC 2004

It appears as if Eugen Leitl wrote:

|Current machines are too slow for even current HDTV codecs.
|Current machines are too slow for even Eclipse at compiled C speed.
|Current machines are too slow for even X at speed of Windows XP desktop.
|Current machines are too slow for even current crude FPS. (Why do you think
|Sony PS3 needs 1000x the speed of PS2 to succeed?)
|Current machines are too slow for even the DARPA race challenge.
|Current machines are too slow for realtime body capturing from video.
|Current machines are too slow for a current desktop in a mobile phone
|performance.
|
|Need I to go on?

You don't need a magical CPU-hungry application to slow down a personal
computer. It can easily be done by starting a web browser, look through
a wiki with most text pages and having "many" (say 10-15) windows open
to different pages. With a few standard applications, like mail reader
and an editor, the memory must eventually be swapped to disk and you get
a rather slow personal computer. Depending on how fast your machine is,
how much memory it has, how fast the disk I/O is, etc., it will happen
sooner or later, but happen it will.

A few "laws of nature" from the computer world:

* The disk will always fill up.
* The machine will become too slow.
* You will need more bandwidth.
* You will need more memory.

In my experience, it has held for the latest 25-30 years, mainly because
of this "natural law" of the computer world:

* Software manufacturers tend to re-invent the wheel now and again.