[extropy-chat] SPACE: Will Frances destroy the remainingthreeshuttles?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 00:24:00 UTC 2004

It looks like it will likely make land fall between Ft Pierce and
Melbourne as a cat 2, with winds of 110 mph. KSC will likely be spared
these wind speeds given they are nearly an hour north of the projected
landfall point. The storm surge should be horrendous, though, being
north of the eye, and as it is going to drop from a cat 4 (135 mph) to
a cat 2 between the edge of the continental shelf and landfall. That's
a lot of energy to dump into the water.

--- "Stephen J. Van Sickle" <sjvans at ameritech.net> wrote:

> I read on a news report this morning (I can't remember where, but can
> find it if anyone is very interested) that SOP for hurricanes is to
> move
> the Orbiters into the VAB since it is rated higher (125 mph) than the
> Processing Facility (rated at 105 mph).  However, all the orbiters
> are
> in pieces for upgrades and can't be moved, so they have closed up the
> payload bay doors, put up the landing gear, and will evacuate
> *everyone*
> (not even a skeleton crew).  This one is mighty dangerous, and if KSC
> gets a direct hit, or even worse the storm passes just south, they
> will
> be in a world of hurt.  If they are lucky, the buildings are
> over-built
> enough to stand, but nothing could stop the storm surge.
>

> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 10:13, Spike wrote:
> > There are other facilities, but as for the VAB, I would
> > think so.  It is a helllll of a building.  Mike ya aughta
> > go down there and see it.  spike

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development