[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 15:13:30 UTC 2004

--- Patrick Wilken <Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE> wrote:

> Actually if you read the Seti at Home site this looks to be a typical
> internet storm caused by the original NS article:
>
> http://planetary.org/news/2004/seti_signal_0902.html
>
> On 3 Sep 2004, at 16:31, Patrick Wilken wrote:
>
> > The New Scientist article is more informative:
> > http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996341
> > One of the odd things is that its apparently nowhere near any known
> > stars. Its seems like the SETI at Home folks are taking it in their
> > strides and want to rule out other obvious artifacts before getting
> > too excited. It would be cool even if they had just found an
> > interesting natural phenomenon.

Actually, the critics are thinking that the signal may just be a
Listening Room effect, that the apparent source may be way out there,
but it's actually an artifact of something close to the telescope
bouncing off the shell twice. This is possible.

What I find so intriguing is that they say that every time you lock
onto the signal, it is at that 1140 ghz freq (?) and then it hunts
around 30 or so hz range. That it always starts at this freq no matter
when you start listening, implies to me that it might be an example of
an entangled photon FTL comm device, that it instantaneously senses
when someone is listening and starts shifting its freq then. Perhaps
the physicists here could comment on this possibility...

Such a dull but odd signal with FTL capabilities would be ideal for
interstellar nav beacons...

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development