Why bet only imaginary money? (was Re: [extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 4 02:27:24 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> OK lets do it this way: lets wager using imaginary virtual
> dollars, sorta like Robin Hansen's IFX ideas futures (except
> they use actual virtual dollars.)

Why only imaginary dollars and monopoly money?

Robin's futures market seemed to me to be a good idea. Except
that the money wasn't real. The lack of that essential detail made
it virtually useless to me. Like playing monopoly with a bunch of
opinionated children that lose nothing if they are wrong so they
go straight back to making ridiculous claims.

I'd be happy to bet *against* certain propositions that are often
championed on the Exi list, not because I have a curmudgeonly
personality (although at times I might :-) but because it makes
fuzzy wishy washy talkers get a lot more precise and specific
(and thereby potentially more interesting and effective if they
happen to be right) in order to operationalise the bet.

This does not mean that I have money to burn, quite to the
contrary it means that I am willing to trade money for time. I
am willing to back my judgement and my understanding of what
is and is not possible in some cases against people who claim
or pretend to be experts.

I can't do it effectively at this stage because there is no *real*
futures market.  Or is there? Does anyone know of one?

Brett Paatsch