Why bet only imaginary money? (was Re:[extropy-chat]SETI:Firstradio signal from alien)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 4 06:06:36 UTC 2004

Spike:

> there are enough people in extropians, sl4, BetterHumans, to
> raise a group to do real money IFX.  My notion is to somehow
> piggyback off of Robin's IFX without reinventing anything.
> Then your private real-money IFX would kinda be betting on
> the future prices that will show up on the virtual money IFX.
>
> How about it?  How many would like to join a private real
> money IFX game?  Perhaps someone is already running one somewhere.

I'd definately be interested.  I think the market would hone good
ideas and disclose good and bad futures analysts.

I wouldn't mind losing money (and so empowering) someone good
enough to take it from me (because I'd learn something that mattered).
I can also see how it would be useful to be able to hedge.

Brett