[extropy-chat] Are the developed nations fleeing into virtualreality?

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 07:51:53 UTC 2004

Yes and no.  Sure, there are some types of communication where F2F is
a big plus, primarily romantic relationships come to mind.  E-mail,
telephone, IM, even video-conferencing can't say "I love you" like a
smile and a twinkle in the eye coupled with a kiss on the lips.

But for casual friendships and even business relationships, our
technology is up to the task.  In my business I've had clients for
years that I've never met.  They mail me a file, I do my work, mail
them a bill and they send me a check.  I've talked to them on the
phone, corresponded through the mail and increasingly by email.  But
F2F?  For a handful of my clients, never.

Obviously that kind of relationship won't work in every industry, but
in mine it works just fine.  And the tech will only improve.  I
remember reading somewhere that Ray Kurzweil gave a speech in another
country somewhere using some sort of holographic videoconferencing
system.  Give me something like that and I'd *never* have to leave the
house.