[extropy-chat] hurricane frances

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 19:23:19 UTC 2004

> Amara Graps
> Subject: [extropy-chat] hurricane frances
>

> Spike:
> >Heres my proposal.  Let a group of volunteers set up a webcam
> >in their neighbor's house, looking back at their own house...

> I wonder where was your home, Spike, because mine had no electricity
> for about 24 hours during the '89 earthquake. I (and my neighbors)
> were in the middle of suburban Cupertino. Makes it difficult to set
> up a web cam, no?

Oops you are right.  I was without power for almost a day.
We would hafta set these things to run on battery power for
a while.

> Minor damage, I agree, yes, but I was cleaning up the glass in my
> kitchen for days, and I lost a few irreplaceable pieces in the
> living room when the bookcases bounced a few feet, and my Mac Plus,
> when it fell over, displayed the cracks in the case for the rest of
> its life.

Ja me too.  My bookselves fell over on top of my two-week
new MacSE30.  Didn't damage the machine, but scuffed the
case.  I'll tell you, that machine was such a beauty:
Motorola 68030 processor, screaming along at an unimaginable
8 megaHertz, memory upgraded to a full MEGABYTE of RAM (oh
my goodness) and a 40 Mb hard disk!  Paid more for that machine
than a new subcompact car, but ooohhh boy, was I ever in
the big leagues.  The Vic20 I had been using was a joke
in comparison to that.  Of course the Vic20 was a joke
compared to anything, but still.

I see your point: we would need battery power
to set up a random damage assessment system.