Why bet only imaginary money? (wasRe:[extropy-chat]SETI:Firstradiosignal from alien)

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sun Sep 5 21:54:26 UTC 2004

> OK I recall now that several years ago there was a meme
> on play money IFX that someone would invent a real money
> IFX.  The price went up until I noticed it had been
> retired at true.  I never heard who was running it.
> My memory of that had gone dim.  Growing old is
> hell.  But now that I think about it, the opposite,
> aging in reverse, might be bad too: you would forget
> the stuff that you learned as you grew older.  You would
> get less wise, would become poorer in most cases, and I can
> imagine going thru puberty in reverse would be a
> major letdown.

Growing old is indeed hell.  You *have* forgotten the stuff you once
might have known.

The claim $vIF ("Real money version of Idea Futures before 1/1/2000")
closed at 0.  There were no publicly accessible versions of Idea Futures
at the time the claim closed.

http://www.ideosphere.com/fx-bin/Claim?claim=$vIF

There are now several gambling sites using the IF ideas, but they mostly
offer the opportunity to bet on sports or election claims.  Nothing
futuristic, and nothing long term.

Chris
--
Currently reading: Mancur Olson, The Logic of Collective Action
    On my Clie: Alexandar Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com