[extropy-chat] why do we stop laughing?

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed Sep 8 06:48:30 UTC 2004

> But what actually occurs in our brains to allow us
> to stop laughing?
> spike

Laughing is, perhaps, controlled in a different part
of our brain, so when other places in our brain go to
sleep, the laughing center takes over. And viceversa.
Ok this does not explain anything!
s.

In 1840 a dentist named Horace Wells had the idea that,
with the recently discovered "exhilarating or laughing gas",
teeth might be extracted without pain. Under its influence
he had one of his own teeth pulled in 1844 and afterwards
frequently used it in his practice. Before a class at the
Massachusetts General Hospital, Wells gave a demonstration
with a patient. Things did not go too well. The patient
suffered great pain. Wells became depressed, addicted
(to chloroform, another anesthetic agent) and in 1848
committed suicide. More at:
http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/nitrous_two/