[extropy-chat] Politics: Internet-based third party ?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 9 12:08:35 UTC 2004

Natasha wrote:

> I'm quoting one of my professors:
>
> "Joe Trippi, campaign manager for Howard Dean, predicted
> (on 'Charlie Rose' last week) that he is sure that an Internet-based
> third party will emerge before 2008 with money comparable to
> what the two established parties can  raise.  (It's supposedly in
> his book _The Revolution will be Televised_.)"

I don't think an internet based third party would make sense. The
internet is a medium - a technology. It would be like having a bull-horn
based party. Parties need to have some sort of manifesto and to operate
within some sort of physical space that relates to resources.

I think politics 101 is about resourcing. If there wasn't a shortage of
anything there wouldn't be politics. If there is a shortage and any sort
of competition then there will be. Living things have more potential to
develop then their is space for them all to develop into.

Brett Paatsch