[extropy-chat] self-defense concerns

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:41:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:38:14 -0700, starman2100 wrote:
> I was just recently physically assaulted in my workplace (I work in the hospitality field)
> and today scoured the net for a good self-defense training DVD.  I was not sure what
> would be best for my needs, since I do not want to kill or maim an out of control person, > but simply repel/put them down with a minimum of harm done if I have no other choice.
>
> I would appreciate whatever pointers anyone might have for me.

Sounds like Aikido self-defence techniques would be suitable for you.
But you need a bit more than just reading a book or watching a DVD!
Remember that violent people are usually *experienced* violent people.
It is their way of life, not just a theoretical interest.

You will need actual physical training to get your body to do what you
want it to do.
You should be able to find classes near you in Arizona.

News article:
<http://www.shelbystar.com/news2000/_disc4/000008c8.htm>

"I wondered how I could defend myself and not hurt someone. I fell
into Aikido," Nappier said.

"I can't attack you with Aikido. I can't chop you. It's not like
karate," said Nappier.

"The ultimate goal is to be able to defend yourself, where no one is
harmed - either the attacker or the victim."

Best wishes, BillK