[extropy-chat] self-defense concerns

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 14:44:23 UTC 2004

--- starman2100 at cableone.net wrote:

> I was just recently physically assaulted in my workplace (I work in
> the hospitality field) and today scoured the net
> for a good self-defense training DVD.  I was not sure what would be
> best for my needs, since I do not want to kill or
> maim an out of control person, but simply repel/put them down with a
> minimum of harm done if I have no other choice.

Okay, lets make this clear: if you feel your life is threatened, yet
you are not willing to go the extreme of maiming or even killing your
assailant, your only option really is running around in circles and
screaming at the top of your lungs while you wait to die or be
victimized. Self defense rests primarily on your ability to communicate
to the assailant that you WILL go to the extreme if the assailant
pushes things, that you are not willing to be victimized to any degree.

If your assailant is significantly more massive than you, AND has
martial arts training, you need a weapon and you need to know how to
use it. Specifically you need a gun and a license to carry it, along
with a firearms self defense course. Unless you are willing to use it,
though, you might as well not even try.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development